20m WSPR

Well doing 20m with a 40m dipole was never going to be very successful, but I went and did it anyway until the stormed rolled on through last night as i shut it all down. The plan ATM is to buy a tri band rotatable dipole from TETemtron, and put up a 10m mast in the backyard to mount it and a light duty rotator on. But that is going to have to wait a few weeks as I just bought a new car and am broke. LOL.

20m TX map with 5w ish.

20m receive map.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin

Overnight on 40m WSPR

Transmit Map

Receive Map

I am hearing more than I am being heard. Which is usually the opposite of what normally happens for me, where I am heard but hear bugger all because of local noise. When i get a 20m antenna up next week i will give 20m the 24hour treatment and see what I can produce.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin

Whats In The Garden ATM

The leaks are coming out today. They are still to small but we need the space to plant spring and summer crops.

The beans have been producing an abundance. They are always dependable.

These tomatos are self sown from the compost bin that was here. Goung to let them run and see what they are and what we get off them.

The roma tomatos are going well and will be flowering real soon.

The bloody hot chilies are looking real nice after the last burst of fruit.

Finally, the raspberries are starting to kick on, should have a lot of fruit late summer.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin

Cucumbers

What do you do with a bunch of cucumbers, dill and spices. Well pickle the crap out of them of course. We go though a lot of gherkins here and DIY is certainly a lot cheaper than buying in the shops each week.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin

New Power Supplies

So i was having trouble the other day with a circuit I was testing and my oscilloscope going bonkers. I did not know what was going on, so I did some investigating and low and behold my homebrew power supply was acting up and had massive amounts of noise and ripple on all the power rails. So i grabbed a couple of these off ebay cheep, thinking well if they are crap i will send them back. Checked the ripple on the output and its not bad at about 100mv, not the greatest, but not bad enough to cause the scope to act up. Time will tell how they go. About the only thing I really need is a 3rd channel. I often need to run 2 12v rails and a 5v. So im going to have to hack up some dual leads. I went looking for double adaptors with 4mm banana and dual terminals, but they just don’t exist anywhere i can find anyway LOL

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin

Arduino Interrupts

So while working on the code for the control board part of the receiver project, I came across an interesting conflict. The keyboard and the rotary encoder did not want to play nice with each other than and the compiler was spitting out an error about a vector conflict. Keyboard worked fine by itself and the rotary encoder worked fine by itself but put the code for both into the once program and the compiler went bonkers.

So i set about learning everything i could about interrupts on the Mega 2560. And this was where the fun began and i ended up going down a rabbit hole from which i was lucky to escape. Well i did survive and i did actually learn about interrupt vectors, pin change interrupts and external interrupts and a little about library conflicts along the way.

So this is not really a tutorial on using interrupts or the differences between pin change or external, but rather a rant about the 2 hours I spent last night reading and trying to understand what I had done and why there was a conflict. In the end it was because i programmed the rotary encoder to use pin change interrupts and it was the library i used that was in conflict with the keyboard library. I did not know that was what i had done, i had assumed that using pins 18 and 19 on the mega, being the external interrupt pins just worked in one way only. But no no no, they can be either external or pin change interrupts depending on how you code for it. Yes, a very rookie mistake.

So after finally working out what I had done wrong, or in reality why the libraries were in conflict, i changed 2 lines of code and had the rotary encoder working as it should be with the keyboard and everyone is happy. So at the moment I have a working keyboard, rotary encoder and VFO and now that my work week is done, I will hit the code hard tomorrow and make some real inroads into getting features in there that I want in my radio. Its not going to be as pretty as the Nextion vfo codes that are floating about the internet, but its going to be all mine. And sometimes, its good to know you have rolled your own and it does what you want.

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin